Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Perspectives on Global Warming/Agriculture

Monday's talk on agriculture and climate change was really eye opening and aligned with so much of our class discussion. There were so many moments that just clicked for me and these insights hand't been presented to me in the past. I wish more of this information had been made available in the media, I really appreciated that the simple facts were presented and solutions given. I want to discuss some of those issues below. 

The perspective of climate change in reference to worldwide crop yields was completely new to me and so important in light of world hunger. As the Dr. Karowe indicated, the persons who will suffer the most from decreased crop yields projected (wheat 50%, corn 35% approximately in the next hundred years) are the persons who had nothing to do with creating the problem. I have the privilege of knowing many international students from different parts of Africa and Asia, and I feel a keen sense of disappointment in my culture that we created this crisis that will one day hurt their homelands. 

What really captured my attention was the solutions to creating greener energy sources and how logical and imperative it is to switch to these methods. Once again, I've never been exposed to this type of comprehensive research and solutions; I wish I had been sooner. You hear, of course about personal responsibility and reducing our carbon footprints, which is vital, but the whole system is going to have to be redesigned if we want to avert the crisis that we have before us. 

Thanks to Dr. David Karowe for bringing this information and giving a new perspective on a controversial topic. 

3 comments:

  1. I find it ridiculous that more people don't know or don't care about this. People aren't just going to magically adapt to these problems! Less food for everyone is a huge problem, even people like us who would be lucky to live in Michigan when this epidemic grows in 50 years. It's just insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Casey. I believe that everyone should care about what is happening to the Earth and should be concerned on direction the Earth is heading.

    ReplyDelete